9/12/12

Let's talk about ...

... herbal facial steams!



I can't breathe through my right nostril right now, and I've been coughing unproductively (you know, the kind that's really annoying to other people, like listening to one side of a conversation by someone on a cell phone) thanks to this SHITTY COLD I got my from my best friend (thanks Syl!), so I decided to break out the big guns.
Luckily I work in an herb store and I had a baggie of the perfect kind of tea to use, but if by some weird chance you DON'T work in an herb store and have a baggie of magic herbs lying around, here are some good ones to get:
chamomile
lavender
calendula
rose
(flowers are pretty safe)

and if you wanna chill out in the meantime, you can use some hops, passionflower, and mint of your liking.

Bring water to a boil. Add a handful of herbs and let it steep with the lid on for a minute or two so the steam get get good and herby.
Then place your pot on something that will prevent it from burning a hole through your table, throw a towel over your head, and create an herbal steam cave sauna.

WHAM! You will be hit with a lot of steam. Adjust position and vents accordingly. It's not rocket science, don't burn your face off.

Sit and breathe deeply, feel your pores opening up, and the snot trickling down your nose. But if you want to proceed to the next step I suggest you don't let it fall in the pot.

When you are reliving the sensation of having two nostrils, or you are able to get some shit out when you cough, you've probably been in there long enough.

Now, you can strain your herbal tea into a mug and drink that shit. Or, if you feel so inclined, you can use it as a foot bath. Calendula and rose especially are very good for your skin, and chamomile is soothing. But don't do tea AND footbath. Or do. Mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment